Protecting Your Puppy from Poisons

Every year thousands of pets get sick or die from common household products that are highly poisonous. You have to be very cautious because what may be safe for you could kill your puppy. Medication, certain foods, plants, insecticides, and household cleaners are dangerous, even lethal for your puppy.
Some substances can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory distress,coma, and even death if inhaled or eaten. It is important to be ever vigilant to keep these products out of the reach of an inquisitive puppy.

Every year thousands of pets get sick or die from common household products that are highly poisonous. You have to be very cautious because what may be safe for you could kill your puppy. Medication, certain foods, plants, insecticides, and household cleaners are dangerous, even lethal for your puppy.
Some substances can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory distress,coma, and even death if inhaled or eaten. It is important to be ever vigilant to keep these products out of the reach of an inquisitive puppy.

Every year thousands of pets get sick or die from common household products that are highly poisonous. You have to be very cautious because what may be safe for you could kill your puppy. Medication, certain foods, plants, insecticides, and household cleaners are dangerous, even lethal for your puppy.
Some substances can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory distress,coma, and even death if inhaled or eaten. It is important to be ever vigilant to keep these products out of the reach of an inquisitive puppy.

Adopt a Puppy

Recommended Products

Prescriptions and Over the Counter medications
Make sure when you are taking any medications, vitamins, or herbal remedies that your puppy does not snatch one up if it falls to the floor.
Anti-inflammatory and pain medications can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure.

Antidepressants can cause vomiting and seizures, and blood pressure medications, acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen, naproxen (Advil & Aleve), nutraceutical products such as fish oil and joint supplements, and many herbal remedies, are also dangerous.When to Adopt a Puppy

Flea and tick products
Every year thousands of dogs are poisoned by these products. Use only the amount for the size and
weight of your puppy. Follow directions explicitly.

Pet medications
Even veterinarians who have subscribed medications are not infallible. Pets have been poisoned by painkillers and de-worming medications. Talk to your veterinarian prior to dosing your puppy, and follow
directions explicitly.

Household products
Everyday household cleaners, bleach, fire logs, antifreeze, paint thinner, and pool chemicals are highly
poisonous. Symptoms may include upset stomach, depression, chemical burns, renal failure and death. Keep all mouse, rat and insect poisons away from your puppy as well.

People food
Yes, it may be yummy for you, but it could be fatal for your puppy. Some foods to avoid are chocolate, onions and garlic. Note: chocolate is #7 on the most highly toxic poison for pets.
For a list of the most dangerous/toxic people food to never give your puppy click here:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/foods_poisonous_to_pets.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Plants
Not all indoor/outdoor plants are dangerous for our pets, but azaleas and rhododendrons, tulips and daffodils, while pretty, contain a toxin that can make your puppy very sick, or worse. And the seeds of sago palms are poisonous.

Lawn and garden chemicals
If you are going to apply fertilizer or weed killer, do not let your puppy outside until the grass is completely dry. If he licks his feet when the grass is still wet with those products, he is ingesting those chemicals that may kill him or do great bodily harm to his organs.
If you suspect your puppy has been poisoned it is important to try to stay calm and rational.
1. Call your veterinarian.
a. Save any of the poison that is available.
b. Collect a sample of the vomit, if any. Your veterinarian may need to see it.
2. Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435, or
a. Experts at the APCC are available to answer questions and provide guidance 24 hours a
day for a $60 consultation fee.
3. Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661
a. They charge $49 per incident.
b. Emergency instructions are on their website.
For a complete list of poisons click here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons

Phone: 713-256-5412
Fax: 713-256-5412
Artistic Origins Inc, P.O. Box 841748
Pearland, TX 77584
Style switcher RESET
Body styles
Color settings
Link color
Menu color
User color
Background pattern
Background image

'Your Coupon Code will be emailed to you'